Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Two Fresh Ideas to Earn Money as a Freelance Writer

I've been away for a few months, life and all, but have decided to fire this old blog back up and see who I can help. Since I've been looking into the state of the freelance world only briefly upon my return, I have found two interesting ideas on how to expand our income sources. They're both websites but they work completely different.


BLOGGINGPRO.COM

As I mentioned above, I've taken only a cursory glance at these sites. However, what I've seen seems pretty promising. Bloggingpro looks especially cool. Think Monster or Careerbuilder strictly for freelancers. Basically, jobs are posted on a board, the buyer includes a brief description and, in most cases, an email address. Typically, as the freelancer, you're asked to send a resume/portfolio of work and sometimes asked for a short article on the topic. Essentially, you apply for a job. It looks to me like a person could easily apply to dozens of jobs daily. Again, I haven't had a chance to fully examine this site but it looks promising.

The way I would approach this site is to work it into my morning routine. This is when I check emails, social network and expand my knowledge and income opportunities. I would jump over to Bloggingpro and apply for interesting jobs and then move on to my established money-makers. The point is to work quickly. Time is money in the freelance world.

ETSY.COM

This isn't an actual freelance writing site but as I searched through a list of potential sites this morning I realized one could sell digital media on Etsy.

Etsy is basically a huge site where folks from around the world sell handcrafted items. However they have categories for digital products such as ebooks, templates and brochures. I saw several people selling guides on how to_____ insert anything here. Mostly craft related. But if you're really good at knitting, create a PDF on how to do it, or how to make something specific. In another life I was a woodworker, a carpenter. I am planning a number of digital guides on how to build a doghouse or form and pour your own driveway. I'm sure there are hundreds of ways to use your talents as a writer to earn money from Etsy. Just think outside the box.

The cool thing is that you set the price. And from what I've seen so far digital guides sell for $20 to upwards of $100, depending on the subject matter and length. 

As always, the more I learn of these sites and new opportunities I'll update these posts with any new information. Check out my recently updated MyAMS review. I've learned a couple unfortunate things about them over the years that I think you'll want to hear about. Until next time this is Freelance Mike signing off!

No comments :